Youth United for Community Action (YUCA) is hiring a new Executive Director!
Led and run by young people of color, YUCA seeks to provide a vehicle for youth to empower themselves and develop productive life skills through community organizing and leadership development.
Position: Executive Director
Position Overview The Executive Director oversees organizational development, fundraisers, supports campaigns, manages external communication, and provides financial oversight to ensure that the organization is well-sustained. The Executive Director is responsible for:
Major Donors: Cultivate and lead contact to major donors.
Maintain Communication and Coordination of YUCA’s Board: Work with YUCA’s board chair to recruit, develop, fundraise and coordinate YUCA’s board members.
Budget/Finances: Work with the Operations Manager, staff and Board of Directors to develop and maintain organizational and program budgets. Track and monitor income and spending, and prepare monthly budget updates.
Fundraising: Create and implement a long-term sustainable fundraising plan for YUCA. Research, identify, and pursue funding from foundations, government agencies, corporations, and individuals. Manage funding proposals, track spending of grants received, and prepare reports in a timely manner. Supervise all grassroots fundraising activities conducted.
Lead, Implement and Coordinate Organizational Development: Shepherd organizational development activities including but not limited to strategic plans, organizational development, staff development, staff meetings, retreats, fundraising, and program support/direction. Safeguard YUCA’s mission and be a mentor to young people of color.
Supervise Organizational and Program Staff: Supervise, support, and hold accountable organizational and program staff. Evaluate bi-weekly and work one-on-one with staff to develop programmatic/ organizing skills.
Communications: Work to create, implement and maintain publicity materials that promote YUCA’s work, including but not limited to website, newsletters, annual reports, and donor packets.
Support Campaigns: Participate in and support evaluation of bi-weekly and long-term planning activities for active community/regional campaigns. Be up to date on campaign work and activities. Act as a liaison to community, city, county, agency and partner organizations.
· Experience supervising a small staff; working with and mentoring high school youth a must
· Computer skill a must
· Community work/involvement a must
· Community organizing experience is highly desired
· Familiarity with issues facing youth in East Palo Alto or other similar communities preferred
· Fluency in Spanish, Samoan, or Tongan a plus
· Driver’s license a must
· Car is preferred
· Ability to work and deal with diverse environments, work under pressure, multitask, be self-disciplined, work as a team player a must
· Have a sense of humor and a lot of patience
· Willing to challenge self to meet these desired qualifications
· A Commitment to Social Justice and Systemic Change at Institutional Levels is absolutely required!
The ideal candidate should have excellent writing skills and is able to articulate YUCA’s vision, mission and work effectively with donors, funders, and community members. They should be able to multi-task, meet deadlines efficiently, is proactive and takes initiative on their work, has financial/ budget management, fundraising and supervision experience and able to drive. This person should have computer skills (Word, Excel, design, and financial software such as Quickbooks), and is a team player. They should be detail oriented, possess good time management skills, be a “people person”, able to work under pressure and in a fast-paced environment. Candidate should have knowledge of social justice issues and have a commitment to the empowerment of low-income young people of color. Candidate should be flexible and expect to work some nights and weekends. Fluency in Spanish, Tongan or Samoan is helpful; familiarity with East Palo Alto/San Mateo County and YUCA program is desired.
Salary and Benefits Salary range is $65,000- $70,000/year with medical, vision, dental, and life insurance benefits. Position is 40 hours per week.
During the 3 month probationary period however, the salary rate begins at $60,000/year and will be brought up to the minimum $63,000/year rate upon successful completion of the period. Specific hours may vary and will include some weekends and evenings.
Location: East Palo Alto
Position Has Two Start Dates: Soft Start : December 16th
Announcement as official Director:
Monday, January 10th, 2018
To apply, please submit a resume, a cover letter, three references and a 2 page maximum essay that answers 2 of the following:
1. Why do you want to work for YUCA?
2. Tell us about an organizing campaign you worked on. What was your role in the campaign? What were the goal(s), target(s), tactics you used to achieve your goals? Who was the constituency you were trying to organize? What were the results of the campaign, the challenges, and lessons learned?
3. With Gentrification at an all-time high, there is much reasoning from our families that they want EPA to remain the same. Do you agree with this sentiment? Why or why not?
Please submit the above by mail, fax or email by Wednesday, Nov 27th, 2018 to:
YUCA, 2135 Clarke Avenue, East Palo Alto, CA 94303; Fax: (650) 322-1820; Email: email@example.com